Taking In Glemore and Picking Up The Hog

We were in need of a bit of fitness today so after dining in the hotel we sorted ourselves out and headed off for Glemore Reservoir for a walk.  This man made reservoir dams the Elbow river and forms part of the water supply and flood mitigation for Calgary.  The pathway around the reservoir provides and excellent bike and footpath access around the whole waterway.

The Princess and I sauntered along the pathway for about an hour and took time to take some photo’s and skip some stones along the water.   We started our walk near Heritage Park (one of Calgary’s tourist attractions) and we enjoyed watching the parks old paddle steamer negotiate the reservoir near where we were walking.  A very nice way to pass an hour or two.

We shared a tasty Subway roll for lunch then headed off for Kane’s Harley to pick up the “steed”.  The bike, a brand new 2010 Electra Glide Ultra Classic was being returned around 2.00pm and we were due to pick it up around 3.00pm.  Keen to get back on the “hog” we arrived at the dealership a little early so we could take a look around and to get the juices flowing.

The staff at Kanes were wonderfully helpful and before we knew it we were trying on some safety gear and sorting out the paperwork.  We weren’t happy with the rental safety gear so we decided to purchase some brand new helmets and some gloves – never willing to risk one’s head!

We chose some really nice helmets and gloves and after about an hour we were ready to pay for them.  The young assistant that processed our payment accidentally put an extra zero into the keypad of the amount we were due to pay and the machine didn’t display the amount when I entered my PIN.  When I signed the receipt I realised she had overcharge me to the tune of $CAD 9000!  The poor girl was so embarrassed but we told her it wasn’t a problem and to just cancel it and try again.  However, when she went to cancel it she couldn’t.  A long story short – we took the Harley and our riding gear and they worked on the debt issue.  I figured that we had a hog worth a lot more than $9000 so it was all fair!

I rode the beautiful machine back to Mum’s place and The Princess followed me in the car.  It felt great to be back on a bike again.  I owned a Tour Glide Ultra Classic when I lived in Australia so the bike wasn’t new to me however, it had been some time since I rode.  I took it easy (for about 5 minutes) but enjoyed opening up the injectors a bit when pulling away from the lights!

We were able to get the bike through the narrow side gate at Mum’s house and park it in the backyard – a little more secure this way.  The bike had a nice security system on it but I wasn’t prepared to leave it parked out on the road for the night.

With the bike securely parked for the night we thanked Mum, said our goodbyes and returned to the hotel to get ready for a night out “in town”.

We decided earlier that we would take in some of the city nightlife on 4th Street Downtown.  This lovely little area of the city has some great restaurants located along the “strip” so we decided to be adventurous and find one that “took our fancy”.

Finding a parking spot was rather easy (Calgary never seems to get busy) and before we knew it we were treading the pavement in search of a place to dine.  Being a Friday night meant that most places were rather busy but there was room for two in most.

We settled on Mercato – a interesting deli style Italian place on the south side of the street.  The atmosphere was unique and, despite being a bit noisy, we enjoyed the ambiance.  The food, wine and service was excellent and, like most places in North America, we took some of our supper home with us when we left.

With a desire to get up early and get on the hog for a ride out to the Rockies we retired at a reasonable hour (albeit that it was still light outside) and drifted off to sleep easily.  Life’s very good.

Share This Post

Post to Twitter Post to Yahoo Buzz Post to Delicious Post to Digg Post to Facebook

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply